Does Apple Juice Contain Gluten? – Our Guide
If you love to start your day with a glass of apple juice in the morning and follow a gluten-free diet, you are most likely curious about if apple juice contains any gluten in its ingredients?
Apple juice is indeed gluten-free making it perfectly safe to have if you are someone who eats gluten free.
We’ve composed a short guide below taking you through what ingredients are in apple juice, the benefits of drinking apple juice and how to know if you are gluten intolerant as well as some gluten free juice brands.
What Ingredients Are In Apple Juice?
Most of the time, you will find apple juice is just made out of apples and water, however, some brands do also add sugar to improve the taste depending on the apple.
All the ingredients in apple juice are gluten free friendly.
Benefit Of Drinking Apple Juice On A Gluten Free Diet
Although apple juice can often be quite high in sugar, there are lots of benefits to having all-natural 100% apple juice in your diet.
We’ve listed some nutritional benefits of drinking apple juice below.
- Has good plant compounds – Apple juice is rich in plant compounds such as polyphenols which can protect your cells from inflammation and oxidative damage.
- Great for hydration – Apple juice is 88% water making it great for hydration, it also tastes good so can be a great choice for rehydration.
- Can protect your heart – The plant compounds polyphenols can be great for heart health and help reduce LDL bad cholesterol from building up inside of the body, they can also protect your brain.
How Do I Know If I Am Gluten Intolerant?
If you are not sure about whether or not you are gluten intolerant, it might be worth getting tested with foods.
Most of the time, someone who has celiac disease/wheat allergy or is gluten intolerant will have the following symptoms as medical conditions –
- Stomach pain.
Side Effects Of Drinking Apple Juice
Although apple juice is very tasty and there are lots of benefits to drinking this fruit juice, it is worth taking note on apple juice that it can have negative effects when consumed.
- Can cause weight gain – The first note on apple juice is that it can be consumed a lot faster than an apple itself, having up to 120 calories a glass, therefore there is a risk of weight gain when consuming this juice.
- High in sugar – 100% of the carbs in apple juice come from fructose and glucose making it very high in sugar and low in fiber, this spike glucose levels in the body.
- Low in vitamins – Apple juice is low in vitamins, most of it is fortified and has low levels of vitamin C.
Gluten Free Juice Brands
Although most fruit juice is gluten free, it’s good to know brands which test their products against containing gluten to be on the safe side.
We’ve listed some gluten free juice brands below which are gluten free in their allergen statement.
- Minute maid.
- Ocean spray .
- Simply orange.
- Lakewood juices.
Brands Of Juice To Avoid
- Capri sun – It’s best to exercise caution with this juice brand since they do not test their products for gluten.
- Fuze – Could have potential cross-contamination with the presence of wheat.
- Kool aid – Not tested for gluten in food product options.
To conclude, apple juice is naturally gluten free and has some health benefits such as healthy plant compounds which are good for heart health and protecting the brain.
We would however suggest having apple juice in moderation since it can be very high in sugar and does not have a lot of fiber which could lead to weight gain, also check the food product label for gluten ataxia to be on the safe side.