Is Eel Sauce Vegan?
Eel sauce is a traditional Japanese condiment made from fermented fish, and it’s often served with sushi or sashimi. It can also be used as an ingredient in other dishes, such as tempura.
It’s also commonly found on the tables of restaurants that serve raw seafood – you may have seen it at sushi rolls. The sauce has a strong flavor, so some people might not like it. That said, it is a unique taste that’s worth trying!
If you wonder if eel sauce is gluten-free, this sauce is not. Since it is made of fermented fish and eel extracts, it contains small amounts of gluten and is high in omega-3 fatty acids. However, it’s important to note that even though it’s fermented, it’s still high in sodium. So make sure to check the label before buying it. It also contains wheat, so we recommend using gluten-free soy sauce instead.
What Is Eel Sauce?
Saltwater eel sauce is a famous dipping sauce mainly used for sushi and sashimi. It’s typically made from fermented eels (or fugu). Still, it can contain ingredients like wasabi, Japanese rice wine, coconut sauce ginger, garlic, sake, mirin, white sugar (a teaspoon of sugar only), fructose corn syrup, freshwater fish extract, eel extracts, salt, vinegar, and tamari.
The sauce is usually served cold but can also be heated up. You can use it as a marinade for meat or vegetables or drizzle it over rice ball or noodles.
What Is It Made Of?
Freshwater eel sauce includes vegan teriyaki sauce, gluten-free soy sauce, sake, mirin (sweet rice wine), sugar, salt, and vinegar. You may also add a teaspoon Sriracha sauce if you want a hint of spice. Some versions include ingredients like wasabi, garlic, ginger, and tamari. These are all common ingredients in Japanese cooking.
The Japanese word for eel sauce is “ebi no shōyu,” which translates to “fish sauce.” Ebiko is the name of the type of fish used to make the sauce.
This sauce was discovered and famous in the Edo period (1603–1867). During that time, there were many restrictions on eating certain types of fish, including eel. This led to a shortage of eel, which resulted in higher prices. People started making their own homemade eel sauce recipes to save money.
Eel Sauce Ingredients
If you want to make your vegan eel sauce, here are the basic ingredients:
- Teriyaki soy unagi sauce
- Mirin (sweet rice wine)
Instructions For Making Eel Sauce
Making eel sauce is easy. All you need is a bowl, a whisk, and a strainer.
- Put the soy sauce into a bowl. Add the sake, mirin, and sugar. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Let the liquid settle for about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the strained liquid back into the bowl. Add the salt and vinegar. Stir until well mixed.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat.
Cover the container tightly with plastic wrap if you don’t plan to eat the sauce right away. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- To reheat, heat the sauce in a microwave oven for 10 seconds.
- Heat the sauce on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once warmed, transfer the sauce to a serving dish.
Store eel sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you plan to keep it longer than 2 weeks, freeze it first. You can thaw frozen eel sauce in the fridge overnight.
How Long Does Eel Sauce Last?
Eel sauce can last for several months in the freezer. We recommend freezing it in smaller portions rather than in one large batch.
When storing eel sauce, you need to follow these tips:
- Keep the sauce in a cool place. The temperature should be around 40°F (4°C).
- Don’t put the sauce directly onto ice cubes. Instead, store the sauce in a sealed container.
- Store the sauce in the same location where you stored other food items.
- Make sure the lid is tight when storing the sauce.
- Do not reuse old containers.
- Avoid using plastic bags.
- Use a dry paper towel to wipe off any condensation before opening the container.
- When you open the container, remove the lid carefully so that it doesn’t get damaged.
Where To Buy Eel Sauce
If you don’t want to make your own, you can buy eel sauce at Asian grocery stores. It’s available in different flavors such as sweet, salty, spicy, and regular.
You can also find eel sauce online. There are various websites selling eel sauce from Japan. Here are some examples:
- Yahoo! Shopping
There are also lots of brands of eel sauce you can try and buy. Some of them include:
What Goes Well With Eel Sauce
Since gluten-free eel sauce is a Japanese-style sauce, it goes well with Japanese cuisine. Try this recipe for Misozuke Udon Noodles with Eel Sauce gluten-free.
To make this recipe, you will need:
• 1 package udon noodles
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) flavor of eel sauce
• 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon (15 mL) vegetable oil
• 1 green onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) grated ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a pot of water to boil over high heat. Cook the udon noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the eel sauce, sesame oil, vegetable oil, green onions, garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Pour the sauce mixture over the cooked udon noodles. Toss gently to coat evenly. Divide the udon noodles among bowls. Serve homemade sauce immediately.
This recipe makes about 6 servings.
Other dishes you can try with delicious eel sauce are:
• Misozuke Ramen
• Misozuke Spicy Shrimp Tempura
• Misozuke Fried Rice
• Misozuke Vegetable Curry
• Misozuke Soba Noodle Soup
• Misozuke Eggplant Salad
• Misozuke Salmon Teriyaki
• Misozuke Chicken Teriyaki sauce
• Misozuke Pork Cutlet
• Misozuke Beef Stew
• Misozuke Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry
• Misozuke Seafood Paella
• Misozuke Grilled Fish Tacos
• Misozuke Sweet Potato Fries
• Misozuke Baked Potatoes
• Misozuke Roasted Corn on the Cob
• Misozuke Cauliflower Steaks
• Misozuke Cream
Is Eel Sauce Sweet?
Organic el sauce has a mild sweetness. If you prefer sweeter sauces, you can add sugar or honey to the sauce. There are different kinds of eel sauces, including organic eel sauce, standard eel sauces, store-bought eel sauces, and other varieties of eel sauce that have unique tastes. Usually, this sauce comes with a sticky texture, so be sure to choose the best type of eel sauce available and check the texture.
Is Eel Sauce Halal?
Yes, eel sauce is halal. Since it is made of fish, there is no pork or beef in it. There are also low-sodium eel sauce option you can choose and it uses organic soy sauce instead of regular ones.
To conclude, eel sauce is surely gluten-free, and it tastes great in many recipes. You can use it as an appetizer, side dish, dipping sauce, salad dressing, marinade, or even dessert topping.
Hope you enjoy making this delicious sauce!
Hey'all I'm Amy, a born foodie and diagnosed with celiac disease 7 years ago. I refused to cave into tasteless, boring gulten free food and create my own!
On my blog you'll find info & cool facts along with recipes, all on gluten free foods!