Are all drinks gluten-free?
You may have heard that nearly all drinks contain gluten, and it’s making life miserable for so many people.
Most aren’t, but to be safe, you should always ask for a drink to be made without gluten.
They usually make alcoholic drinks for people with ingredients such as wheat, barley, rye, oats, or other grains.
These types of ingredients can contain trace amounts of proteins called gluten, which cause serious healthy diet issues for those who suffer from gluten intolerance.
If you want to enjoy a delicate glass without worrying about having an adverse reaction, keep on reading!
Is orange juice gluten-free?
Orange is a fresh fruit juice and a member of the citrus family. Orange juice is a fresh juice made from oranges and marketed with a variety of flavors.
Orange juice is gluten-free, but sweetened fiber orange juice can contain traces of wheat.
If you have been avoiding drinking orange juice because of its high sugar content, think again. Orange juice has been an excellent source of vitamin C.
It helps boost immunity, supports healthy bones, promotes cardiovascular proper health, and even protects against cancer.
Orange juice is also rich in antioxidants that can protect against heart disease. One study found that eating an 8oz glass of orange juice bars daily could cut the risk of developing heart attacks.
Why is gluten so bad?
Gluten is not only found in alcoholic beverages but also in baked goods, cereals, and sauces.
When we eat these products, the gluten gets into our bloodstream and wreaks havoc on our digestive system.
This leads to symptoms like bloating, gas, diarrhea, constipation, fatigue, headaches, joint pain, skin rashes, and more.
There are two types of celiac disease:
- Celiac disease type 1 occurs when your body reacts negatively to gluten and damages the lining of your small intestine.
- Celiac disease type 2 occurs when your body does not react to gluten at all. This means that you do not experience any problems after consuming gluten.
Both forms of celiac disease affect one million Americans.
How to avoid gluten in alcohol
They make most alcoholic beverages with ingredients containing gluten.
However, there are ways to make sure that you don’t consume gluten while enjoying a cocktail.
- First, read the label carefully. If you see “gluten-free” written next to the ingredient list, then you know the product contains no gluten.
- Second, look for real fruit juice brands that use certified gluten-free ingredients. These are ingredients that have been tested by third party laboratories and verified to be gluten-free.
- Third, check out the bottle itself. Look for a seal that says “certified gluten-free” on the front of the bottle.
- Fourth, ask the bartender to make your beverage without gluten. They will be happy to oblige!
What juices are gluten-free?
The best way to ensure that you are safe from gluten is to drink non-alcoholic beverages instead.
You can find many gluten-free options that won’t leave you feeling bloated or sluggish.
Here are some specialty juices that are gluten-free:
1. Almond milk – this dairy alternative is great for people who are lactose intolerant. It is low in fat and calories and it tastes delicious.
2. Coconut water – this refreshing drink is naturally gluten-free. You just need to make sure that you buy organic coconut water.
3. Green tea – green tea is packed full of nutrients and antioxidants. It is also naturally gluten-free.
4. Kombucha– they knew this fermented black tea as a probiotic. They loaded it with extra vitamins and minerals and it is naturally gluten free.
5. Orange juice flavors–Tropicana orange juice is naturally gluten free. Just make sure that you choose 100% natural orange juice over grapefruit juice. Grape juice extraction may contain traces of gluten.
6. Water– If you want to stay hydrated, drinking plenty of water is always a good idea. However, you should never drink tap water because it has chlorine added to it.
7. Yogurt – yogurt is another healthy food that is gluten free. Make sure that you buy plain Greek yogurt rather than natural flavors varieties.
8. Zucchini tasty juice – zucchini is packed full of fiber, amounts of vitamin C, vitamin B, vitamin A, potassium, and other nutrients.
How to tell if a drink is gluten free and how to find out for sure
If you are unsure whether a certain drink is gluten free, here are some tips to help you figure it out.
Look for labels that say “made without wheat,” or “contains less than 20 ppm gluten.”
These labels mean the product was made using gluten free ingredients.
If you are still unsure about what you are drinking, call the manufacturer. They will tell you which products they use and which ones are gluten free.
I would suggest avoiding a variety of fruit juice drinks containing barley malt syrup. The reason is that it’s likely to contain barley flour, which is a common source of gluten.