Is Gram Flour Gluten Free?
Gram Flour is made from ground chickpeas and contains no gluten. However, it is still processed in shared facilities where wheat flour is handled. Therefore, it is important to consult your doctor or nutritionist before using it for celiac disease patients.
Gram flour is commonly used in baking because of its high protein content and low moisture content. They can be substituted 1:1 with all-purpose white flour without affecting the quality of baked goods.
Graham flour has a higher protein content than other flour such as rice flour, so bread made with this type of flour tends to have more structure and chewiness. Find out more information here Is Rice Flour Gluten Free.
What is chickpea flour?
Chickpea flour is a common ingredient that is used for making falafel, hummus, baba ghanoush, tabbouleh salad dressing, etc. It’s also known by its scientific name “garbanzo bean flour”.
The chickpea flour is usually sold dried but sometimes fresh too. You may find both types at grocery stores.
Chickpea flour comes either whole or ground into smaller pieces. Whole chickpea flour is often found near lentils on supermarket shelves.
You may also want to check out this article Is Lentil Flour Gluten Free
Healthy ingredients list using chickpea flour
Banana bread recipe
This recipe is a 10-15 minutes preparation time. The banana bread will keep up to 2 weeks if stored properly.
- 3 ripe bananas
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg plus one yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups chickpea flour
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×4 inch loaf pan. Line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine eggs, sugars, oil, and vanilla; beat well until smooth. The dry ingredients should be added alternately with the milk, beating between additions just enough to incorporate.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Baking time is about 45 minutes or until a toothpick is clean when inserted in the center. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
3. To make the frosting, cream together butter and confectioners’ sugar. Beat in powdered sugar gradually. Spread over cooled cake. Cut into squares. Store leftovers airtight.
Bread with chickpea flour
This recipe is 40-55 minutes preparation time This bread keeps up to 3 days if stored properly.
- 1⅓ cups chickpea flour
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8teasingon cayenne pepper
- 1/8cup water
- Mix all ingredients except water. Then add water slowly while mixing continuously. Let dough rest for 15 min. then knead again.
- Shape dough into ball shape and let rise for 30minutes. Roll dough into rectangle shape. Fold long side toward middle and roll back.
- Repeat folding process twice. Place dough seam down onto greased cookie sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for another 20minutes.
- Brush top with melted butter. Sprinkle sesame seeds. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30mins. Remove from oven when golden brown.
Besan Ki Roti (gram flour flatbread)
The recipe instructions of Besan Ki Roti are very simple. Just follow them carefully!
- 1 cup besan ki rai
- Take a big bowl and mix all the above mentioned items.
- Now take some amount of mixture and put it between your palms.
- Make small balls like chapati.
- Take these balls and flatten them slightly.
- Heat a griddle and spread the flattened balls evenly. Cook till they turn light brownish color.
What does chickpea flour banana bread taste like?
Chickpea flour banana bread tastes like a cross between banana bread and a muffin. The texture is similar to banana bread, but much lighter.
Where can you buy chickpea flour?
Chickpea flour can be found in your nearest market If not available there, it can easily be ordered online.
Gram flour flatbread : Step by step recipe
The (Gramflour-Chickpea Flatbread) is a 40-60 minutes preparation time. This ingredient has the best source of plant protein which helps build strong bones and muscles.
It has high fiber content which makes us feel full longer. It has a healthy amount of fiber so we don’t get a bloated feeling.
You can use this as a sandwich spread, pizza topping, pasta sauce, meatballs, burgers, wraps, salads, soups, dips, cakes, cookies, muffins, pancakes, waffles, cracker snacks, etc.
To make this bread, Combine this ingredient list
- 1/2 cup gram flour, 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Mix well until batter is smooth. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pour batter into a nonstick pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Top with shredded cheese.
- Turn heat off and sprinkle half of the shredded cheese evenly across the surface. Return to stovetop and cover with lid.
How to store chickpea flour tortillas in the fridge?
Chickpeas flour tortillas need to be refrigerated since they contain a lot of water and oil. The best way to store them is in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
They can also be frozen for up to one month. You may want to thaw them before using them.
How to keep chickpea tortillas from tearing?
To prevent chickpeas from tearing when frying them, do not fry them too long. Also, try using a high heat oil.
If you are going to freeze them, place them on a paper towel-lined plate first. Once cooled completely, transfer them to freezer bags. They will stay fresh for about three months.
Can I substitute chickpea flour for wheat flour?
Yes! you can, Many people who suffer from celiac disease find that chickpea flour works just fine instead of wheat flour. Chickpea flour (just like chickpeas) contains no gluten, making it safe for those with Celiac Disease.
However, if you’re looking to bake something more substantial than a snack cake, you’ll probably want to stick with regular flour.
We have here an article that may help you find alternative, Is Barley Flour Gluten Free?
Is chickpea flour good for weight loss?
Yes, chickpea flour is a very low-calorie food because it’s made mostly out of carbohydrates.
You can add some cinnamon & salt to increase its flavor. This product is great for dieters because it doesn’t cause any bloating after eating.
Read Next: Is Chapati Flour Gluten Free
Hey'all I'm Amy, a born foodie and diagnosed with celiac disease 7 years ago. I refused to cave into tasteless, boring gulten free food and create my own!
On my blog you'll find info & cool facts along with recipes, all on gluten free foods!