Does White Rum Contain Gluten? – Our Guide
If you are after a drink on the weekend or maybe you fancy a rum to wind down after work, alcohol is also something you need to make sure is gluten-free on a gluten-free diet.
White rum and most distilled alcohol are gluten-free, you do have to be careful about flavoured rum however, some of the flavourings can contain gluten.
Down below, we’ve discussed in more detail the nutritional value of white rum, which kinds of alcohol contain gluten, and how to know if you are gluten intolerant and gluten-free types of alcohol.
What Is The Nutritional Value Of White Rum?
White rum is simply distilled alcohol, it has around 100 calories per shot and no nutritional values unless they are flavoured.
White rum is made from sugar cane and is made in stainless steel barrels, it tends to be used in cocktails the most and has a sweeter taste in comparison to dark rum.
Which Kinds Of Alcohol Contain Gluten?
One kind of alcohol which contains gluten is beer, although saying you can find gluten-free options, always check the labelling just in case.
Beer contains gluten due to the brewing process which is often done with barley, rye or wheat.
Distilled spirits are also always gluten-free unless they have flavourings added to them after the brewing process, however saying this, some flavored options like Mount gay rums are still safe to drink.
You will also be pleased to know the majority of mixers like coke and other sodas are gluten-free.
How To Know If You’re Gluten Intolerant?
If you have a beer and tend to feel bloated or sluggish after, this might not be due to the gas in the beer but could be down to you being sensitive to gluten.
Some gluten ingredients in foods or drinks can trigger gluten allergy symptoms such as –
- Constipation or diarrhoea.
Types Of Rum Which Are Gluten Free
Most rum is gluten-free, however, you do have to be careful of gluten content in flavored rum and also gluten cross-contact if the rum was produced in a factory which produces gluten products.
To be on the safe side, we recommend sticking with these rum brands below which are 100% gluten free.
- Bacardi – All flavors of Barcardi rum are said to be gluten-free.
- Appleton Estate Jamaican rum – Unflavoured rums are all considered to be gluten free from Appleton estate.
- Captain morgan – A popular party favourite, Captain morgan rum is all gluten free.
- Cruzan – Cruzan does not claim any of its rum to be gluten-free but its distilled plain rum is considered to be safe.
- Havana club – Havana makes a traditional kind of rum and all their flavors are considered to be gluten-free too!
- Mount gay – Mount gay is one of the oldest rum companies to date and offer six different mount gay rum flavors to choose from which are all gluten free.
- Malibu – Malibu rums might be flavored but they are still all gluten free!
- Myers rum – Myers rum is distilled from Jamaica and is plain with no flavouring or added ingredients.
Frequently Asked Questions About White Rum & Gluten
Is Mount Gay Rum gluten free?
Yes, Mount Gay rum is mostly gluten free and so are all its flavours.
What flavourings in alcohol contain gluten?
Most of the time, any flavours which have been added to alcohol after they have been distilled make the alcohol not gluten free.
Does Morgan white rum contain gluten?
Morgan white rum is indeed gluten free since it is just pure distilled.
Overall, white rum is a distilled spirit meaning it is naturally gluten free unless it has added flavourings which could mean gluten or cross-contamination.
Always check the ingredients label just in case to make sure your bottle is gluten free.
Hey'all I'm Amy, a born foodie and diagnosed with celiac disease 7 years ago. I refused to cave into tasteless, boring gulten free food and create my own!
On my blog you'll find info & cool facts along with recipes, all on gluten free foods!